“Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm, as you get older, remember you have another hand: The first is to help yourself, the second is to help others.”

“For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”

“Success is like reaching an important birthday and finding you're exactly the same.”

“Pick the day. Enjoy it - to the hilt. The day as it comes. People as they come... The past, I think, has helped me appreciate the present - and I don't want to spoil any of it by fretting about the future.”

“I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.”

- Audrey Hepburn




Monday, 16 August 2010

Do I Even Know Myself?




A very nice ENFJ I know sent me some links to articles about shadow functions. I've only ever heard about these in passing and I've never really thought to look into it deeper but I am glad that I did.

Here are the links she sent me:
http://psikoloji.fisek.com.tr/jung/shadow.htm
http://www.lessons4living.com/shadow.htm

I enjoyed reading the last link in particular, especially the part about the golden shadow. I always thought that the shadow had to be a bad thing but it seems that it can also be positive.

But this all got me thinking: do I even know myself? I mean, if someone asked me to lists traits that I felt applied to me, would they actually be my traits or would they be traits that I had chosen? I can think of a few examples. I usually describe myself as a calm and self controlled person. I pretend that I don't feel the need to express anger that I can easily control my impulses. But I actually feel anger very intensely. I feel resentful a lot because I really want to express my anger but I just don't know how. Well to be exact, I don't know how to express it in an acceptable way. It made me realise that maybe I am not as clam and self controlled as I believe myself to be. Maybe I just suppress that part of me because I feel it is "wrong" and because I don't want to be that way. I often react negatively to people who freely express anger and feel that they are very different from me. I frown upon how they can just fly off the handle as if I would never do such a thing. But maybe they're not as different to me as I think...or as I want them to be.

I have a lot more reading to do on this. It has really sparked an interest in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment