“Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm, as you get older, remember you have another hand: The first is to help yourself, the second is to help others.”

“For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”

“Success is like reaching an important birthday and finding you're exactly the same.”

“Pick the day. Enjoy it - to the hilt. The day as it comes. People as they come... The past, I think, has helped me appreciate the present - and I don't want to spoil any of it by fretting about the future.”

“I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.”

- Audrey Hepburn




Tuesday, 23 March 2010

Broad Shouldered Women

I have broad shoulders and for years I have felt inferior because of them. Broad shoulders are considered unfeminine by most, and it's a horrible feeling when you feel unfeminine especially when you are a girly-girl like myself. The main problem I had with my shoulders was not the shoulders themself. Broad shoulders can look very elegant, supermodels have broad shoulders and there are many beautiful actresses such as Jessica Biel and Angelina Jolie who have broad shoulders. The problem I had was the way I carried myself as I could not pull them off. I stoop a lot due to being of a painfully shy nature and of course this would make my shoulders hunch forward which would make them look even bigger. My shoulders looked huge on my prom photos because I was standing so awkwardly because having my picture taken makes me uncomfortable. Plus I am 5"7 and although that isn't incredibly tall I appear to be taller than I look for some reason, and that makes me feel awkward and gawky.
I am learning to embrace my shoulders partly because I have realised that If I walk with my head held high and with a good posture they don't look big at all and partly because of this lady:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cc/JoanCrawfordByYousufKarsh.jpg

Joan Crawford had very broad shoulders, but was still effortlessly beautiful, elegant and sexy. And her shoulders were accentuated with shoulder pads...so broad shoulders can't be that unattractive. And Happy Birthday Lucille LeSueur/Joan Crawford :)

2 comments: