“Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it's at the end of your arm, as you get older, remember you have another hand: The first is to help yourself, the second is to help others.”

“For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”

“Success is like reaching an important birthday and finding you're exactly the same.”

“Pick the day. Enjoy it - to the hilt. The day as it comes. People as they come... The past, I think, has helped me appreciate the present - and I don't want to spoil any of it by fretting about the future.”

“I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.”

- Audrey Hepburn




Saturday, 8 May 2010

Famishment


I found my child one day, looking up at me
She had always been around, but I had chosen not to see.
Her face so relaxed
But her eyes in contrast
Were dark pools of sadness, hungry from the fast.

She had memorised the calories of every kiss and hug
In order to avoid the guilt of indulging too much.
Her tiny bones protruding, her soul undersized
The story of her starvation reflected in her eyes
Eyes so undernourished they had forgotten how to cry.

I found my child one day, looking up at me
I nourished her with acknowledgment
And now I am free.

[Image not owned by me]

2 comments:

  1. I really like this poem. I think it's my favorite of your's so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your poems...Hope you are well

    ReplyDelete